10 Random Things about Me + 2017 Liebster Award Nominee
Below you will find 10 Random things about me, plus you will learn about the Liebster Award for new bloggers! I borrowed this post format from Arune, the awesome blogger who nominated me. Enjoy!
10 Random Things about Me
- Potatoes are my absolute favorite food. I could eat them for every single meal and never get tired of them.
- I can pick up dimes that are lying flat on the floor with my toes. I can even write with my toes if I needed to (not that it’s very legible).
- I have started (and quit) writing several blogs before this one. My food blog was successful enough to gain the attention of a few huge corporations offering to have me write sponsored posts, but I never followed up with them because I was overwhelmed. I quit writing due to a lack of inspiration to come up with new recipes. I didn’t know much about growing traffic, marketing my content, or anything about SEO back then and didn’t know where to look for information.
- Since I’ve been in the UK, I’ve had 3 surgeries. I’ve had my gall bladder out in an emergency surgery in 2010 two months after Punky was born, and two jaw surgeries (one to move my mandible 12mm in October 2016, the other to remove infected titanium plates in July 2017). I may be lined up for a 4th depending on the results of the MRI scheduled for next week on my left knee.
- I love watching cooking shows. If I could live with Food Network on my tv forever I’d be an incredibly happy lady.
- I don’t sort my laundry before I wash it. I just chuck it all in together and hope for the best. Nobody’s got time for all that sorting nonsense!
- I’m addicted to social media. Most of my downtime is spent on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. I can’t get the hang of Instagram though!
- I’ve been dyeing my hair since I was 15. My dad was the first to color my hair for me! I’ve been blonde, several shades of red, black, orange, and a brightened up version of my naturally dark brunette hair.
- I married The Husband two weeks after knowing him in person (we had dated online for 6 years prior). I moved to the UK with one large suitcase and a backpack. We spent the majority of our first year married apart due to visa paperwork.
- I currently have 5 tattoos and am planning a few more. I also have three ear lobe piercings in each ear, one upper cartilage (left ear), and my nose pierced. Most of them I did myself (the piercings, not the tattoos!).
2017 Liebster Award Nominee
The Leibster Award recognizes newbie bloggers and spreads awareness about new and upcoming blogs. I was actually really excited that Arune nominated me for the award. It really made my day! Thank you, Arune! I’m looking forward to making my nominations and spreading around the newbie blogger love.
For more information on the Liebster Awards, you can find more information and the official rules here.
Arune is the amazing writer behind the scenes at morethanaplate.com. I love that she offers extremely healthy recipes that all look absolutely divine. I’ll definitely have to give most of them a go since I’m trying to lose a large amount of weight this year. Everyone knows that I adore collecting recipes, and Arune has a gorgeous collection on her site. I’m excited to try her Grain Free/Dairy Free Chocolate Fig Banana Bread!
Q&A questions from Arune
- Why did you start your blog? I started my blog for several reasons. The first is that I really needed something to occupy my time while Punky is at school, and I love to keep family updated on our daily life since I live an ocean away from them. The second reason is that it has been incredibly difficult for me to find a job here in the UK. I’m hoping to grow my blog big enough to give us another full time income to pay off debt and be able to move back to the US.
- What do you struggle with on your blog/social media etc? I struggle to be consistent with my writing and updates on my blog, facebook, and twitter. I also struggle to pin consistently on Pinterest.
- Where do you see your blog at in a year? Five years? In a year I hope to be writing my own e-courses, offering webinars and helping other newbie bloggers (like myself at the moment) how to succeed in their dreams. In five years I see myself blogging and working from the beach with a laptop.
- What do you do to stay productive? Drink a ton of coffee! I have a schedule above my desk that I write once a month to help myself to stay on track.
- What is your favorite season? Why? My favorite season is summer. I swear I run on sunshine. My mood is better, I have more energy, and I stay focused on my tasks easier.
- Sum yourself up in 5 words. Sarcastic, loving, honest, weird, and occasionally snarky.
- Where would you love to take a week-long vacation? I’d absolutely love to go to Tahiti. The Husband and I never had a honeymoon, so I’d choose to spend my vacation with him and treat it as a honeymoon even though we’ve been married for a decade.
- What would you pack for that vacation if you could only take a carry-on? A few maxi dresses, a bathing suit or two, flip flops, sunglasses, phone, kindle (for reading material), and sunscreen because I go lobster red extremely quickly.
- What is your favorite outdoor activity? A picnic in the park with my guys
- Do you have any routines? Rituals? Since I’m a mom, I definitely have a routine to stay organized. I meal plan and brainstorm blog posts on Sundays, shopping and paying bills on Monday, cleaning the rest of the week, and of course the never ending school drop-offs and pick-ups. I don’t have any rituals that I know of.
It’s time to spread the blogging love around and highlight more amazing blogs! Here you will find 5 more nominees for the Liebster Award:
- Kristy at napkinsoup.com
- Megan at peanutbutterandjellyfoster.blogspot.com
- Kara at littlefoodieguide.com
- Tosha at queenmamadiaries.com
- Ashley at millenialistmom.com
Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of time to sit and read blogs. I’m constantly working or running my household, but the one blog I do keep going back to for dinner inspiration is Rasamalaysia.com. Bee has such beautiful photographs, lovely recipes, and is such an amazing writer.
I’ve tried Bee’s recipe for Char Siew Bao (Chinese barbecue pork buns), and they are fantastic! They closely rival the buns we buy at the Chinese supermarket to steam at home. I know Bee is already an established blogger, but she’s the only one who came to mind right off the bat. Go ahead and try Bee’s recipes! They’re delicious!
10 questions for my Nominees
- What inspires you?
- Who is your favorite author?
- What is the strangest thing about yourself that no one knows?
- What is your ultimate personal goal?
- What is your favorite blog post (it doesn’t have to be your own)? Why? Please provide a link.
- What is your favorite dessert?
- What advice would you give your 12 year old self?
- If you could have dinner with anyone living or dead, who would it be and why?
- Give a tip to other potential bloggers.
- If you had $1,000,000 what would you do with it?
Ok guys, this is it. If you’ve been nominated please leave a comment below stating that you’ve accepted the nomination! Comment on the Global Aussie’s post to let him know that you’ve been nominated. Leave a link to your nomination post, and spread the love with other newbie bloggers. If you have any questions please look around the Global Aussie’s site – you’ll find all the information you need there.
Thank you again, Arune, for the nomination! I can’t wait to see what you write about next!